Monday 17 August 2015

The Absolutely Unofficial, Unsanctioned, Unneeded Unwanted PAC 12 sports blog

 
This blog really ought to start out with apologies to all who really write sports stuff, know what they are writing about or work for a living. On the other hand, I’d spend most of my life apologizing if I dealt them out everywhere they are due. Instead, let’s get right to it.
I’ve got sort of a legitimate place in the world of Pac12 sports. I’ve been around since it was the Pac8, suffered through the years they admitted Arizona and Arizona State (who early in their membership tried to jettison some of the northwest schools), and stick around now that it has metamorphosed into a north and south monster. I umpired baseball in the Pac10, and have, or at least had (haven’t checked in a while) my picture in the University of Oregon Sports Hall of Fame.
Needless to say, you might find some of what I’ll write here a bit biased toward Oregon, a little biased against Oregon State, and maybe downright hateful toward the University of Washington.  Neither do I have much use for Trojans. That’s not to say I wouldn’t sit down with a beer to talk sports with Beavers and Huskies. I just wouldn’t buy the beer. I wouldn’t sit down with a Trojan unless I was already drunk.
I’ll also unload on the Big10ish and the SEC whenever opportunity knocks. If you are a Pac12 fan, you’ll grow to love me. Otherwise, probably not. Part of my agenda is to balance the world against the hated EAST COAST BIAS, which doesn’t do much better at understanding the Pac12 than they due at pronouncing ‘Oregon’.
With little more knowledge of what I am writing about than I have about what the next paragraph is going to be about, I promise you nothing but the straight stuff, delivered with a straight face, straight from the rear side of my Levi’s. I have a humor blog called Untie Me Now here on Blogspot, so if you want the humorous stuff, you’ll have to trot over there. This blog is for the serious business of sports.
I’m happily stuck up here in Maine now, so you won’t find any interviews, which usually don’t amount to much anyway. You can probably provide the same answers to the canned questions that the players and coaches do. The others you can probably handle better, or at least more honestly. Occasionally the voices might provide something they whipped up in their chem lab, when they aren’t too busy burning popcorn. They know both endeavors annoy me. Best not to quote the quotes when they sneak into the posts.
I don’t think the Pac12 will mind my mentioning their name from time to time as I long as don’t claim to represent them. Otherwise you’ll find me among the dirt they dig up over on ESPN being held up as an example of what not to do. I also don’t have anything to do with them or any other group of talking heads. We wouldn’t have each other.
Another warning; get used to typos sneaking in as I seldom catch them all. If anything you read doesn’t make sense, it’s probably a typo.  Nothing I write should not make sense if you wrap your head around it the right way, or believe everything you read. If that all works for you, you might want to become a follower of this blog so you get warning when I post something. I really need followers other than the detectives and psychiatrists who are following me now.
Don’t follow me everywhere though, like right now I am going out to do the heavy research it takes to review all of the conference football teams. I don’t want too many people crowding me and freeloading the beer and pretzels. (Especially the Beavers and Huskies)


No comments:

Post a Comment